KHARTOUM (Somaliguardian) – Sudan said on Friday that its troops will not leave the Sudanese territories recently retaken during clashes with Ethiopian forces and allied militias as tension over the two countries border continues to escalate.
Yasser Al-Atta, a member of the country’s Sovereign Council, told media that the Sudanese army will not cede an inch of the Sudanese territories recently recaptured by the army, which had been under the occupation of Ethiopian troops and militias for many decades.
The official reiterated the army will continue to work to protect the country and its oil.
Sudan had accepted the drawn borders after making sure of the existence of international agreements and charters at the headquarters of the United Nations and the African Union, Al-Atta noted.
According to Sudan’s Sovereign Council, the recently captured settlements will soon be rebuilt and citizens in those areas will have full access to public services.
Another member of the country’s Sovereign Council, Lieutenant General Shams El Din Kabbashi stressed that talks with Ethiopia will not be about demarcating the borders.
The remarks come after Sudanese troops have regained control of two new agricultural settlements – 15 km deep inside Sudan’s border – from Ethiopian militias during an eight-hour battle on Wednesday.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org