Somalia: Families of Civilians Killed By AU Troops Threaten to Attack Base

MOGADISHU (Somaliguardian) – A spokesman for the families of civilians killed by Ugandan troops threatened that they would storm a base housing the African Union peacekeepers in southern Somalia’s Lower Shabelle region on Sunday, after their demands fell on deaf ears.

Hussein Osman Wasuge, who spoke to local media this week, said local farmers in the region plan to attack the base in the town of Golwayn in an attempt to retaliate over the killing of 8 civilians by the African Union troops nearly two weeks ago.

8 people were killed from us and we are now ready to retaliate over their killing, and take the law into our own hands. We cannot distinguish between AMISOM, but we will kill 8 of them in revenge,” Hussein Wasuge said.

On Sunday, farmers plan to enter the AMISOM camp in Golwayn, if we do not get a response from them on Saturday, we will fight.”

Wasuge said they are determined to take vengeance on Ugandan troops for the killing of local farmers, whose bodies have yet to be buried.

Uganda’s president Yoweri Museveni earlier said the soldiers behind the assault had been arrested and will be charged for a “massacre” that sparked a wave of protests in the Horn of Africa nation.

Contact us: info@somaliguardian.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here