MOGADISHU (Somaliguardian) – Somalia’s prime minister Mohamed Hussein Roble on Saturday said the government will establish probe into a “terrible” attack carried out by Ugandan troops serving the African Union peacekeeping mission, that led to the death of seven civilians several weeks ago.
In a video shared on social media, the premier said he had met Ugandan ambassador in Somalia and the sector commander of the peacekeepers behind the murder of civilians near the town of Golwayn in the Lower Shabelle region.
The incident sparked mass protests that have swept through the capital over the past days, staged by families of the victims who demand justice for the civilians “massacred” by the African Union peacekeepers.
Ugandan peacekeepers took 7 men from a farm near the town of Golwayn and killed them. They placed six of the dead bodies on a landmine and detonated it, some of the relatives of the victims told media.
“Truly, it was a terrible incident that has broke our hearts… I appointed a committee of ministers [including] the minister of security, the minister of defense, the minister of interior and the minister of justice who will meet here with [Ugandan] ambassador and the [sector] commander tomorrow to discuss that issue,”
The prime minister said Ugandan ambassador to Somalia had told him the perpetrators of the killing are currently in custody, hoping for swift response to the grievances of families who had lost their loved ones in the raid.
Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni said last week the soldiers who had perpetrated the deadly attack on civilians “were angry after they had been ambushed” by militants and added that “all those soldiers have been arrested” and will be charged.
Contact us: email@example.com