Uganda’s president confirms casualties among country’s peacekeepers in Somalia base attack

Somalia

MOGADISHU (Somaliguardian) – Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni said on Saturday there had been casualties during an attack by the Al-Qaeda-aligned Somali militant group Al-Shabaab on a base manned by African Union peacekeepers in the country on Friday.

“Some of the soldiers did not perform as expected and panicked, which disorganized them and the Al-Shabaab took advantage of that to overrun the base and destroy some of the equipment,” Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni said.

“Condolences to the country and the families of those who died,” a statement by Museveni reads, adding that the country’s army had set up a panel to launch an investigation into the assault.

Ugandan President claimed that the attackers numbered about 800 and during the attack his country’s troops were forced to withdraw to a nearby military camp, about nine kilometers away.

Al-Shabaab armed group said on Friday it had killed 139 Ugandan soldiers and released images purporting to show prisoners it captured and weapons it seized as well as a number of destroyed tanks.

Contact us: info@somaliguardian.com

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here