Somalia Survived ‘Coup Attempt’ During Opposition March: Minister

MOGADISHU (Somaliguardian) – Somalia survived a “coup attempt” during opposition protests last week, Information Minister Osman Abokor Dube, said on Tuesday in a briefing over the country’s current situation.

The opposition led an anti-government march in the capital last week during which government troops used heavy weapons and dispersed protesters including senior politicians, in what the opposition presidential candidates say was an “assassination attempt” against them.

Osman Abokor Dube described the peaceful protest as an attempted coup aimed to descend the country into unrest in a bid to overthrow the federal government.

“What happened in Mogadishu on the 19th of this month was a coup attempt; armed troops arrived near Villa Somalia [the presidential palace] saying that there is no government in the country and no president. Praise be to Allah the attempt was thwarted,” Dube said, referring to former  army general Yusuf Indho-adde who had led his troops to Daljirka Dahson, the site for opposition protest, a day before its scheduled date.

The minister’s remarks come amid plans for another protest scheduled to be held in Mogadishu on Friday after the opposition vowed to continue anti-government marches until their voices are heard.

Somali Information Minister said the federal government would not allow protests in Mogadishu amid ban on public gatherings, which had been introduced following opposition call for anti-government demonstrations.

Mr Dube urged opposition leaders to convey their messages to public through local radio stations and TV channels.

Contact us: info@somaliguardian.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected!